5 Things About OWWA’S Seafarers’ Upgrading Program
The Philippine government pays a high regard for its Filipino workers here and abroad that’s why it has continuously strived to uphold their rights. The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) is the primary governing body that serves as watch-dog of every Filipino worker.
To encompass Filipinos who are working outside the country Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) was created and acts the lead government agency tasked to protect and promote the welfare and well-being of OFWs and their dependents.
True to its founding principles, OWWA provides various scholarship programs for OFWs who want to improve their skills. And for the benefit of our Filipino seafarers, the Seafarers’ Upgrading Program was created.
Here are five things you need to know it:
- The Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) developed a program that aims to provide OWWA-affiliated seafarers a job-related training that prioritizes maritime courses identified by the Maritime Training Council.
- The Seafarers’ Upgrading Program is a scholarship grant for Filipino seafarers who are willing to advance their skills and develop their expertise that follows international maritime standards and in accordance to advancements in world-class maritime technology.
- Under the said program, the grantee will receive a sum of P7,500.00 as training assistance. Availment in another training course will be every after three recorded membership. The amount is inclusive of meal and transportation allowances in the case of trainees referred to the National Maritime Polytechnic (NMP).
- The program covers all Filipino seafarers who are active OWWA members but only those who have accomplished at least one recorded membership contribution will be successful beneficiaries. For subsequent availment: have three additional membership contributions following last availment.
- The necessary documents required to apply for the scholarship are as follows:-Accomplished application form
-Seamen’s Identification and Record Book (SRIB)
-Proof of OWWA Membership (OR Of contribution)
-1″x1″ photo (2 copies)
-Latest residence certificate
For interested applicants, you can visit the OWWA’s central office at Room 401 OWWA Center, 7th corner F.B. Harrison Street, Pasay City or visit their website http://www.owwa.gov.ph. You may also contact OWWA at (632) 891-7601 to 24.